Gideon: God who obeys Chapter 2


 Even a faithless man, God did obey!


I am not quite sure how God tolerated the young Gideon ranting face-to-face with God's angel but I felt that Gideon was honest enough to present the case of his people to God, remembering what God did to his ancestors. God may have felt Gideon knows them but does not necessarily believe them due to the long gap of years since Joshua led the next generation who inherited the promised land. Gideon is one of its beneficiaries. 


When you find a true leader in its weak state, it will seize the opportunity to voice out what his people truly feel about God. And God listens, this is what He came for, and chooses the weakest link to lead them. A leader who cannot even believe he can do it because he has not felt or experienced God personally. Now this is the day that the Lord has made. It's Gideon's time and his true name meaning shall be made known and shall truly act according to what God says about who he is.


Next scene, God confirms by his words: "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?"


God must have been annoyed at these words but Gideon is completely faithless yet brave enough to ask God another "Pardon me" he asks: Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replies, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”


At least God can tell Gideon is not pretending to know it all but stating they are weakest and this is humbleness and helplessness. He also asked why would God entrust someone who is the least? And God wouldn't listen to his low self-esteem because Gideon was God's perfect choice, a lowly vessel who knows its place.


AC

Next

Comments

Popular Posts